Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Test of time - Goethe to Kurzweil

By chance I found this 1999 article, a review of Ray Kurzweil's book The Age of Spiritual Machines, online in The Ecologist archive. It still makes sense, just about.

The first two paragraphs are both quoted from Ted Kaczynski and should both be in italics to distinguish them from the rest of the article.

Otherwise the errors are all my own. For example, Goethe used his discovery of the intermaxillary bone in humans as evidence the oneness of Man with other species.

Also, I am now less sceptical than the article implies about the capacity of globalisation, when properly regulated, to deliver benefits.

I can't now source the final quote from Nietzsche. It still sounds good, and I hope it is correctly quoted: Technology is the premise whose thousand-year conclusion mankind has not yet dared to draw.

No comments: