Monday, December 31, 2018

The Unread


There are lists. There are lists of lists. And, presumably, there are lists of lists of lists. If I were going to make a list of lists, which I’m not, it would be about books, and it would include this from Lithub and this from James Bradley.

Instead, here is an un-list of some of my tsundoku:  books I wanted to read this year and still haven’t got around to:
Frederick Douglass, Prophet of Freedom by David W. Blight   
The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans and Our Quest to Understand Earth’s Past Mass Extinctions by Peter Brannan
The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte  
The Meadow by James Galvin  
Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life by Edith Hall
Everything Under by Daisy Johnson (and all the other Booker shortlisted books I didn't manage; I only got as far as The Overstory by Richard Powers)
Thomas Cromwell, A Life by Diarmaid McCulloch  
The Nobel Factor: The Prize in Economics, Social Democracy, and the Market Turn by Avner Offer and Gabriel Söderberg
Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy by Serhii Plokhy
Radical Markets: Uprooting Capitalism and Democracy for a Just Society by Eric Posner and Glen Weyl 
The Archipelago of Hope: Wisdom and Resilience from the Edge of Climate Change by Gleb Raygorodetsky   
Communal Luxury: The Political Imaginary of the Paris Commune by Kristin Ross  
Rising by Elizabeth Rush 
Fox 8 by George Saunders 
Radical Happiness: Moments of Collective Joy by Lynne Segal  
The Finance Curse by Nicholas Shaxon 
Carbon Ideologies by William Vollman 
Among the books on my unread list that I have finally got started on are:
The Library of Ice by Nancy Campbell  
Ghost Wall by Sarah Moss 
Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Sadaawi 
They’re very good.  I am also reading a proof of Robert Macfarlane’s Underland, which will be published in the spring of 2019. It is very very good. Among other books on my horizon are Doggerland by Ben Smith and Reef Life by Callum Roberts.

What else should I be reading?

No comments: